Last day of 2006
I fought with myself today to make myself give Jazz a day off. He needed a break but I really would have liked to ride him. In the end the only way that I could make myself do it was to stay in bed another hour reading a book :-) That make me an hour later than normal getting outside of course,but this pair simply don’t seem to care. They are so happy togeher munching haylage in the barn. It makes it a great temptation to be terribly lazy and I mustn’t get into the habit. It was nice for one day though.
I schooled Tia. A hack would have been nice but the wind was so strong I didn’t fancy it. The sun is shining now though and it’s quite a nice day, wind aside. ( I wrote that originally at midday. It's now 3pm and it couldn't be a lot more foul out there.) Tia was lovely. The canter is coming on every day, the constant repetition is doing a lot of good. Riding Jazz has given me a much better feel about when she is truly in front of my leg. Her speciality is to be veeeeeeerrrry subtly behind it, from where she cannot get a balanced canter strike off. It's not until you get a poor transition that you realise that she wasn't truly forward in the trot. But she got it today after only one bad one on one rein and two on the other.
I went to sleep thinking about that youngster (let’s call him Zippy - for some unknown reason his name is Zipper Lane, which seems an odd thing for a Dutch stud to call a horse ;-#) . I dreamt about him all night and woke up thinking about him. I have arranged to go and see him again on Tuesday and take a friend with me who has been briefed to point out any faults that I have missed. One of his forefeet turns out a tiny fraction, but that’s all I could see "wrong" with him apart from his total physical immaturity.
The only drawback I can see to him at the moment is that if anything were to stop Jazz competing next year when he is six, that Zippy would not be strong enough to take his place, or old enough to affiliate for eventing at all, even Intro. But heck, I’m talking 2008 here, not 2007 and that’s a long way off and it would be such fun to see him grow into the horse that I can see inside that weedy little fellow he is now. I talked to SH about it over lunch and he said "well you'd have to find another Tia, wouldn't you?" so he seemed totally unconcerned.
On the last day of the year I have to muse about what an odd year it has been horse-wise. First of all we had the absolute downer of Smartie going blind in January/February. Tia's arrival was shadowed by his being put down two weeks later. But over the next few months, with some decided ups and downs (including being the most difficult horse I have ever had to teach cross country) she turned into rather a little darling and I'm very proud of her. Then Tetley got a no-go verdict on his future soundness, after I had struggled for nine months to work him through his spavin issues. But finding him a new home also meant finding Jazz, and though I loved him totally, I now find it extraordinarily difficult to be upset that Tetley had to go when Jazz is the result. I have never had a horse who makes me smile quite so much, or who I look forward to riding quite so much. I do bless the day we came across him, and Superhubby for pushing me to up my stakes horse-wise and buy world class breeding. I look forward with huge excitement to seeing what he's capable of in 2007*.
C.
* some of it may make some fun reading. The worst year for most horses' behaviour is the fifth. They reach a level of strength when they can seriously test you and they are about the mental/behvioural development of a young man of 18-21. If Jazz was human I'm sure that this coming, spring when the grass comes through, he'd be out binge drinking and picking a fight outside the chippy at 2am in the morning.

5 Comments:
Remember, it all began with Smartie. You were given him to be his caretaker and to do what was right for him. The return for that kindness is, ultimately, Jazz and a new perspective on selecting the right horse.
Caddy and Tetley are happy and secure--well loved, from what I can tell, and Tia is turning into the kind of horse she never would have been if someone else had bought her.
Now, Zippy sits just within grasp. I am going to guesstimate 17h, hence the ladder. ;) Regardless, think about the fact that just a few months ago, you would never have been considering such a horse as an option--don't find them at the ex-racer auctions.
For a year's journey, you have traveled far. Bless Superhubby for being there at your side and even behind at times pushing you on. As far as Zippy goes, it seems he is totally supportive.
If you can manage, keep Tia as the back up horse until Zip grows up. That will keep the pressure off him completely and you can just let him find his own way. Food, the hills and some light training to teach him the basics are all he needs until he is at least 4. By then, Tia will be a solid mount for almost any rider, Jazz will be climbing the levels, and you can have the fun of getting more serious with Zip.
Here's my deal. Tucker is the competition horse. Toby is the back up, and the schooled horse to do all the cool stuff with or just work on me when I need it. Chance is the "wait till he grows up," fellow with the only difference being that I don't care if he has a competitive future.
I have all kinds of options as to whom to ride, when to ride and how to ride. I don't do much jumping any more, so that's generally not on the agenda, but I can play or work at will.
Three don't cost so much more to feed. For me the farrier bills are higher, as are the vet bills, but otherwise, who notices? And one more stall to clean? Big deal.
OK the little toe out thing. If he travels straight no issue. See whether the cannon bone is straight and under his knee. Some youngsters toe out a little and grow out of it as their chests broaden. Some even "paddle" a bit in the movement until they learn to balance up and get their feet out of the way.
I can hardly wait myself for your Tuesday post. I have a good feeling about all of this.
Happy New Year!
Sounds very interesting. I wouldn't worry about toe out at all. I'm sure your trimming could sort that out. Remeber Murphys ballet dancer back legs, they still are not 100%, but much, much improved. Are you free 2nd/3rd/4th so I can see your wonderful horse. I'll bring devil dog with me! Caroline - can I use HP on a daily basis, or is that too much? I'm fighting thrush, after day two it looks better already, but I really need to stop it in the first place. (Any non horsey person browsing will think!!!) Could I also trouble you when you are free next to advice me on Murphys back feet. I'm struggling to get past the wind swept look with them! Jazz and Zippy go together in my opinion. He does look lovely in his ad. Wishing you all the best for the new year and lets hope 2007 is the best one yet for us all!
I wouldn't worry about the toe out thing either, but I wouldn't stop that using it as a bargaining tool, that and the broken tail!!
He looks a nice type though, something to have fun with I think.
Best wishes for the New Year, you have ended it with a completely different set of horses that you started it with. Who knows what 2007 will bring?
happy new year with your new horses (but i agree with jean about keeping tia for longer .....)
Thank you for your very kind comments Jean. Tia has come on well, but there was some very good basic material there, that's why I bought her when Superhubby thought she was rubbish :-) He's had to eat his words since !!
I don't even clean out stalls because they live in the barn so all I do is pick up poo. Three is no big deal if one isn't being worked. I don't like to keep three all winter, but at this time of year you know that spring is only 10-12 weeks away and that'll go by in no time.
Tam I have never had any problem with hydrogen peroxide no matter how often I use it. But for recurrent thrush I would actually spray daily with Tesco value thin bleach and that should control it. Can you get the stables to pick his feet out every time they get him in from the field, too?
Tam's coming tomorrow morning folks and of course I am hoping that she will post some glowing stuff about Jazz tomorrow afternoon :-)
Thanks Tracey. Claire, wait until you see my photo which I am waiting to be delivered and you'll see why I'm not desperate to compete Tia this season. I really do look too big for her!
Happy New Year everyone.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home