Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Horse balloons

I spent from 8.15 to quarter past midnight on the road yesterday, barring a two hour stop with my Dad and a sleep in a motorway service station car park. He's a lot better thanks, out of intensive care and back on a normal ward. I haven't had a lot of energy to do too much today!

But I schooled Tia and she was very good. She is beginning to cotton on to how to really work. Two of the canter transitions were the best she has ever done (they weren't brilliant, but we have progress, which deserves a reward). She had second-rein-itis in the lateral work but I persuaded her to get herself straight, which was the big issue, and then forward, which was easier when she was straight, and then we got the bends right.

Jazz I had some fun with. I decided that I need more brakes and more steering when we are out on a hack and when we are showjumping. So I tried him out in my favourite pelham with roundings with a stirrup leather strap as the curb. It was ACE! Wow, perfect control. He was so respectful of it I was afraid that it was actually too strong. I took off the curb and tried that, but it wasn't half as effective. So for the time being it looks as though he will be in the Scooby combination - pelham for hacking and jumping, snaffle for schooling. I hope eventually to be able to use the snaffle to hack, but I doubt if I will ever be able to showjump, cross country or interval train without more control. I resist stronger bits as much as I can, in fact Scooby is the only other horse I have used one one routinely. But I think for safety's sake I need to use the pelham on him at times.

So, that was five minutes gone. I took off all his tack and put up a jump. Well, I put the poles on the floor between the stands. I thought we'd have some fun teaching him to loose school. Teach him???????????? He took one look at the fence, popped into canter, turned and jumped. I put it up, and up, and up, until it was over 3ft 6 and still he just popped it. He's only ever done it from the left rein, but I didn't even have a lunge whip and he was completely free of tack! They definitely did this with him in Holland at some time.

Now ................ the jump! He "hangs" in the air like a horse balloon. Or basketball players when they jump for the basket. He isn't even thinking of coming down until he has cleared the fence. It's almost like watching slow motion :-) He doesn't get anywhere near the poles, he tucks right up in front, and as his back end hovers over the fence he tucks his hocks right up behind him. What a magnificent horse - I am so lucky that the trainer/dealers who are Ran's normal customers didn't want someone as opinionated as he is, otherwise he'd either have been sold weeks before I got there or he'd have cost more than I would have paid. I've got a star, I'm sure of it, all I have to do is to take the next ten years to work out how to ride him :-) !! (And travel, but we won't mention that today)

C

4 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger Claire said...

i recently read a thread you know where, where there was a discussion about what you use in a test when you normally school in a pelham. the answer seemed to be, put a drop noseband on , done up relateively loosely (not as you would if you were using it to keep the mouth shut)- and apparently the horse seems to think the curb is still there..

worth a thought....

and i'm going for a fhoenix.... cheyenne not working on molly (because of molly, i think, asymmetry at the shoulder and it floats above her at the back...)

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"horse balloon" I love it. Now, the question is, how will that feel to ride? I have a feeling you are going to have to work on staying with him over the fences at first until you get the hang of that "hang time." Sounds as if he snaps his back into a nice bascule too? Fun stuff to develop a seat for.

As for the pelham, sounds like a keeper. Sometimes you just need the extra brakes out there. Better safe than sorry.

Three cheers for Tia! She just needs some time to sort things out. Maybe you should do more rein changes with her in a shorter span of time. Circle in, circle out, then a leg yield one way. Circle in circle, leg yield the other way, always concentrating on keeping her inside shoulder to the outside rein. Don't think of it as working one side and then the other. Instead, think of working both sides at the same time. Correct bend, counter bend, shoulder in, haunches in, travers, renvers, etc.

Hope your Dad continues to improve. Sharing quality time with him is very important. Give him my best from across the sea.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pleased you Dad is improving..after the horrible time we had in the summer with my Nan I know just how you feel.

Just to comment on yesterdays posts.My mate John breeds W/bloods (among other breeds) and its never failed to amaze me how these horses 'go' from an early stage.It would take years of training to get my horse to carry himself like this ...if ever...and it seems totally natural for them.
John's horses arent schooled as such,they get started then hacked out to see a bit of the world until they are sold so noway could it be said they are being schooled excessively and being hurried into a 'false' outline...it just seems to come natural.
I do believe they way they are broken makes a big difference and think many issues could be avoided if the horse was started correctly.
John has 50years experience,some of which I dont agree with,but I could only wish to have his results.
He does alot of long reining(anything up to 2months) around his very hill woods which I think this strengthens them considerably before they are even sat on.
Oops bit longer than a comment...but I have to agree these horses are like no other ive sat on..in the way they move and carry themselves but I also agree they are slow developers and shouldnt be rushed.NOT that im saying your rushing him C..ive seen your training sessions which are short and sweet and after seeing the way you ride I dont think you'd ever force a horse into an outline.

Nicola (unable to log in for some reason?)

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Oooh, treating yourself for Christmas Claire? I think you'll probably like it a lot.

" I have a feeling you are going to have to work on staying with him over the fences"

I have the same feeling :-) :-) :-)

And do you know, in all the time that I have been schooling her and had second-rein-itis it never once crossed my mind to alternate sides more quickly. I tend just to work until it's right on the one rein, then swap. Shows how thick you can be without friends to point things out to you, doesn't it!?

"very hilly woods which I think this strengthens them considerably before they are even sat on."

Jazz gets the same effect just being turned out on the hillside. His chest is a good four inches wider than when he arrived and he's two gullet plates wider at the wither. Nicola I'm still waiting for you to email me your address so I can send the DVD to you.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home