Monday, December 04, 2006

Tia tricks and troubles

I still have a huge grin on my face from yesterday. I have been watching the video over and over and I am so pleased with him. He's had today off. He will get tomorrow and Wednesday off too because I'm working, and I will be looking forward to Thursday.

I schooled Tia today and I am sitting here now kicking myself. I struggled and struggled with her canter transition. First I got head tossing and diving. Then I got refusal to bend in the right direction or to trot. I went for the pelham expecting that to cure things, but it proved to have been a one-day wonder and it didn't do anything to help at all today. I took it off again and put the french link back on, and carried on quietly insisting that she at least TRIED to give me a calm transition. And then suddenly she did. Three in a row on her worse rein. Now, why on earth did it take over half an hour of fuss and bother first? Why couldn't we just have had a calm transition to start with?

I'm absolutely kicking myself now, because a comment from Jean has reminded me that all I actually needed to do was to put a martingale on her. It's worked many times in the past. It works every time we go jumping. She seems to actually like the support that it gives her and it makes her more confident to make the transition. Dohhhhhhhhh, stupid me, it's no good to think of it 4 hours after you've stopped!

Talking of Tia I have two lovely pictures in the post today. They are of fences 8 and 9, the fences where I got the unjustified penalties in that event in September. You can clearly see that I am swinging right over fence 8, before she has even touched down. I have my weight to the right, she is leaning and bent right and we are going RIGHT. Fence 9 was to the left, so there is no way in the world that any sensible fence judge should have been able to misjudge my intention to circle. It beats me, it really does. I am really chuffed to have photographic proof of it though. The girl who takes the pictures is a member of my Riding Club and often sends photos out months after the event. It's actually quite nice to be in the middle of winter and be reminded of the summer's events. The photo over the corner, fence 9, is really nice and I am sending off for it. I'll post it when I get it. Tia is making a fantastic shape and I don't look so bad myself!

I'm off now to get my superstar and his groupie in out of the rain.

C

ps can anyone suggest why I have lost all the eidting buttons and picture loading on my machine? They are available on Superhubby's and that's how I put the pix on last night. So it is something about my machine, but the software is not on my machine it's Blogger, so I can't understand why I don't have the editing that I used to have. I can't bold or italic or underline and more so it's difficult to get the feeling into the writing that I want to!

9 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Jean said...

First, the computer. What web browser are you using? Sometimes features available in Explorer are not aviailable in Netscape, etc. Also, is there a feature somewhere that offers options? Did you accidentally set it for HTML? Can you reload the new Google/Blogger account somehow? Could be a Google glitch too. I will try to investigate.

Good heavens, another ancient bit of riding lore I remembered from 'way back solves another problem? Maybe I should write a book. *G* A martingale for balance. As long as it becomes a training aid and not a crutch for the flat work, especially since you can't use them in a dressage test.

By the by, in watching other British dressage tests, I saw that at least some of them, horse and rider do not halt at "X" at the beginning of the test. Here in the US, every test, at every level requires and initial halt and salute. Is that how Jazz just kept going? I acutally like the idea for young green horses, as standing square and politely while the rider salutes the judge is often a daunting task for a youngster.

I can't wait to see the evidential photos. Now, if you could only bring the case court, you'd be a shoo in to reverse the decision on the fence. As I understand it, you have a special "in" with the magistrate???? *VBWG*

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

The funny thing is that I used to get the buttons until very recently and I have upgraded nothing and yet they have disappeared. I will try upgrading Explorer next time I am offered it, because Blogger says it uses Explorer. Blogger, on the other hand, has radically changed the way picture update works, so it's probably them who caused it.

Halt at X going up the centre line at the start was removed from all UK prelim and novice tests a few years back Jean. It was to encourage forwardness and fluency in young horses. There is still a halt at G or X at the end.

C.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger cloud_cirrus said...

An upgrade to IE7 has just come out, perhaps one PC has auto-upgraded to that and the other hasn't?

Great pics, you fit well together I think.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Claire said...

i'm using firefox, and have now migrated to the beta blogger, and have uploaded photos quite successfully..

now, if i could get rid of the need to log in twice, once to blogger and then again to beta blogger...

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

It turns that it was indeed Explorer and that I needed to be Java enabled. I feel SO much better for knowing that my Java applets are in tip top form now :-)

Thanks for your nice comments. I think basically that Jazz and I are a perfect match for each other. He is boisterous, strong, talented, knows he is special and he matches me for personality and physically. I feel so GOOD on him, like I fit like his key into some kind of mental and physical lock. If it took Tetley's problems to make me find him, then it was all a "meant to be".

They are out in the blustery rain right now. Both of them are surprisingly tough for horses which haven't been clipped because they have such thin coats. They aren't working today, because I have been. They have tomorrow off as well.

And then .........................
we are taking Jazz to an indoor school nearby to put him over some small showjumps It will be my first attempt at jumping him. If all goes well, I am taking him to riding club on Sunday at 2ft 6, which I fully expect him to laugh at as he was already jumping over 3 ft when I saw him first.

Oh I do so love training these babies - so much to do, so many targets to set and work towards, so many rewards in seeing them grow up and change and improve :-) :-) :-) :-)

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ive got the video...... :-)

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Awwwww Cummon Mandeigh! You can't just tell us you've got it and not tell us what you think. Now spill the beans girl!

C

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Well she's sent me her verdict so you'll all have to wait to see if she lets you know what she thinks :-)

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well I'd sell him now If I were you....I could give ya 50 quid to take him off your hands, you'll struggle to sell him especially as he's such a poor mover


:-) is it safe to come up yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home