Monday, June 26, 2006

Ruminations

I have been musing about Tia for a day now and come to some conclusions. Bear with me, for those of you who do not know me well some of my conclusions may seem a bit precipitate, but trust me, they aren't. I know my own faults, and the principle one for eventing is that I cannot cope with showjumping a horse who I feel might stop. It just blows my confidence. I can cope with any amount of wild jumping, but not refusals. I once had a mare with a very similar attitude to Tia. If she felt your lack of confidence for the minutest instant she would stop. I only just sold her before I ruined her totally and I vowed never to do the same again to another horse.

I know that I can get Tia to do Intro perfectly well, and that she is capable of much, much more. But I am NOT capable of getting her there. Her foibles perfectly match my own. Together we will be a disaster every time the showjumps go up in height. I'll hestitate, she'll stop and around we'll go again. So what I plan to do is to get her going really well at Intro, and then I will sell her. I probably won't ever buy another mare, I think it is time to admit that I simply don't have the sensitivity, or skill, or character, or something to get the best out of them. I'm better with boys.

Today I jumped her at home. I started with a tiny cross pole and she refused it. That was great, because if they don't give you the same problems at home, you can't work on them. When she did jump it, she was wildly over-jumping and shooting off on landing. I got her to do it nicely and then put a back bar on it at 80cm (2ft 7). She utterly refused to have anything to do with it. I called Allan into the arena and she jumped it straight away - what was THAT about? Anyway, I carried on jumping it until she was doing it confidently and calmly and stopped. Later in the week we'll do it again and the height can go up. I plan to have her jumping 3ft 6 before Malpas in 3 weeks, so that 2ft 11 will look absolutely tiny to both of us.

The arena surface was superb to jump on. I never expected to be able to jump on it at all, but the landing was fanstastic. Tetley schooled brilliantly on it too and loves it. He almost has flying change now. I had to get it by taking counter canter down the long side and changing on the corner. If I cantered a bend first, he just lost his balance. And of course he felt totally sound and looks totally sound in the field too. In fact, the heat has increased in his "good" hock and is now either more than or the same as the "bad" one. Things are evening up and working through I think. I may take him to the farm ride soon, he'd just love it.

Caddy is definitely growing. And definitely developing a personality and it's a little cheeky and a little obstinate (but not much!) He still does a circle as several straight lines joined up. I have also been forced to strap his mouth shut, his yawing at the bit is completely excessive. He is desperately green, poking his nose whenever he can and he is going to take a bit of time to come right. So I have decided to school him for a few minutes most days, otherwise when I want him to jump in October indoors, he won't have the basic groundwork to be able to do it!

Let me know what you think about Tia.

C.

9 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your plan for Tia sounds sensible. People and horses can often have personality clashes and clearly this is the case with you and Tia. On the other hand someone who gets on with mares and their 'endearing' (!) little ways will probably have loads of fun with Tia, she's a sweet little horse and I don't think you'll have a problem finding a five star home for her.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tia? she's a tart.....sounds like its down to good old fashioned hormones to me!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Jean said...

I can totally understand your position. I too lose confidence with a horse when I am not sure it will jump.

Do lots and lots of low gymnastics and combination jumps to give her confidence. What she needs to understand is that she can get over no matter what. My first horse was nearly 100% reliable in the show ring because he spent hours and hours solving all kinds of jumping puzzles at heights that were easy for him if we came wrong.

Short distances between fences in combos. Verticals to oxers, oxers to verticals, no strides. Keep her thinking and build her confidence by making it so the mistakes don't matter.

It will help you too. Once you start thinking about the puzzle, your own confidence will build.

I have never really felt comfy with a mare as a choice for my own horse. I have known some lovely ones, but I don't think I have the personality to cope with the extra sensitivity. The boys tend to forgive and forget. The girls...well, you know how we are. ;-)

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think gelding copes better with our "female emotional bagage". mares are more snesitive, They tune more into your own emotions.

I have both now. I love my princess, but she is a Princess. My gelding is better company, but he is a bit dull after the presence of a Princess. Oh, maybe I should look for a gay gelding LOL

It is a very good idea to sell Tia, when she is good at intro. It will help to find a good home, which will apreciate her talent.

About Caddy, do you do any lunging/ground work, or do you just ride him?

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always reckon a horse has to be jumping a good few inches higher at home, confidently, than they are going to meet at any competition, in the early days at least. Then whatever scarey thing is in front of them, it also doesn't look too big to tackle.

Also there is no substitute for competition practice. It is like practicing dressage at home - beautiful work, and then when you go into the arena at a show they act as though they have never seen an arena before.(Well mine do anyway)

I think it is just a case of slogging round the local Clear Round competitions until show jumping becomes just ordinary and easy.

It is funny isn't it, about show jumping, because I'm the same too. Find it much easier to jump cross country that show jumping, but in a way it should be easier because at least the poles fall down.

Look on this as another schooling problem to be overcome. Good luck.

Judith

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you make decisions like this extremely quickly. Sometimes I envy your clarity of thought, sometimes I think you might give the horse a bit longer to get its head around what you're asking it to do, to build its own confidence in what to do with its body over the different tasks you're presenting it with.

Tia has only just started to learn about anything apart from racing, and you've got her out doing affiated eventing already. This is impressive, but it might be a bit quick for Tia's head???

If you're not prepared to wait, then yes, sell her to someone who is happy to take things a bit more slowly. She appears to have made a good effort so far, all horses have blips, is this so bad that she has to move home again already?

Its up to you of course.
Tracey B

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

INteresting comments from everyone on their perception of things.

I agree in some ways that you've come a very long way in a very short space of time, and maybe giving her some time to assimilate the situation and new information might help her but I also completely appreciate your decision that you and Tia play off eachothers weaknesses.

I am another one that loses all confidence in a horse that throws refusals in. Robin does it and like Tia unless i'm 100% there kicking and saying "Yes I want to jump this" he will throw in the dirtiest of stops. I can be this positive if i'm feeling confident but if the confidence deserts me and I hesitate for a second he knows it and takes advantage. That's no good at all for either of you and hesitation like that is not what you want when you want to move up the grades - it becomes dangerous then, not just a pain.

I think you're being hugely sensible and realistic by realising you are not a match together for this competing lark and as you bought her to go through the levels you sell her when you've realised it's not going to happen. Life is too short with horses to slog after one that you know you don't click with, as you say someone who wants perhaps to enjoy her at Intro level or has no such confidence issues with jumping will be able to make her their horse of a lifetime very easily.

Good on you for you your clarity and realism is my opinion.

Cassie
PS if you're anything like me just having someone on the ground when you jump helps your confidence even which is why she suddenly jumped it without issue. I can't explain why in a lesson i'm far more confident than jumping a few fences on my own but I am?!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Ah Tracey, you don't trust me do you??? :-) I said "Bear with me, for those of you who do not know me well some of my conclusions may seem a bit precipitate, but trust me, they aren't." I'll try and convince you! I'm putting together almost daily riding of Tia since February, and constant assessment of her character, with my own 13 years of teaching youngsters to event (not very successfully at first!). I have come to the conclusion that she and I are a personality mismatch, as I have been with more than one other mare over the years. To get her do do 2ft 11 well will be easy. In fact I've never started affiliated competition that low before because Intro is a new grade. But I know that if I keep her and increase the heights, I will spoil her, because my own faults will make hers worse. It's not a question of being prepared to wait, I honestly believe that I will make her worse if we go to higher grades. And no, I don't want to keep her if we can't do higher grades. Though I can understand that might seem hard to some people, I just don't like her enough to keep her if we can't do that. My view is that someone else will love her to bits, so why make her stay in a home with someone who doesn't quite? Thanks for your honesty Tracey, it's good to be challenged - it makes it more likely to make the right decision.

Muriel I haven't yet done anything with Caddy but ride him for 10 minutes at a time. I can't manage much time for him with three, but when I am back to two I may do some other stuff.

Thanks for your comments everyone, they helped a lot. The basic problem is that with showjumping I do need to be able to push a horse around a bit if it hesitates, and like many mares, as many of you pointed out, Tia ain't gonna be pushed anywhere :-)!

C

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right about mares not being pushed - ha ha. Good for you Caroline, your clarity of thought and decision making skills are excellent - I wish I had them!!
Tracey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home