Friday, May 26, 2006

Meet Caddy

Cor, what a day! I am totally cream crackered. With nearly 80 lots that I was interested in, I needed to be in the stables, in the parade ring and in the auction ring all at the same time to be sure not to miss somthing good.

Prices were much higher than usual today, and we sat as the guy beside us paid £200,000 for a chaser. And with no more reaction than if he was buying a ten grand car. The first one I REALLY wanted went for 3000 guineas and I would have had to go to 3,500 for it, too much.

Anyway, I think I got a good deal. I have paid £1850 (£1500 guineas, plus vat, plus 5% for the guinea) for a horse who I am calling Caddy. He has an exquisite Arab head and would easily pass for an Anglo with his face. He is a fair bit bigger than Tia, but very fit and wiry right now. He will look a much bigger horse in six months.

He is four, which is really the age I wanted. I plan to give him a quiet time over the summer to work out that he is no longer a machine, then take him winter showjumping at my riding club.

He is a TOTAL failure as a racehorse. He failed on the flat at 2, 3 and again at 4. And over hurdles at 4. But the jockey who rode him says he's a great jumper and has a natural pop. He and his stable mate seemed really pleased that I was taking the horse out of training. They said he will do me proud and wished me luck as only the Irish know how!

So here he is:




And these feet are going to need some looking at! He points, and has a pronounced toe first landing. Shoeless ASAP I think!!




He has a VERY quiet and gentle nature, a real sweetie pie. I took his plaits out without hardly even holding on to him, in the middle of a melee of people moving horses and loading and shifting lorries about.




I've left him there and I'm going tomorrow morning to pick him up. Then you can begin to follow his progess too. I've barely seen the others today, but they seem very happy!

C.

7 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, He is gorgeous, I love his little expressive head!

What horrid feet!

Good luck and all the best for your new horse.

He is really gorgeous! Tetley may be jealous of him ;-)

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

he's far to pretty to be a boy isnt he?!
Those feet are shocking how do they expect the horses to perform well with feet like that??... bet your itching to get at them.

He looks a real sweety ..cant wait to here how he settles and for all the progress reports.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you could see his conformation! He should mature into a nice horse.
Good that he was so well behaved.
I was really excited to log on and see what you have been up to!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Claire said...

he looks a nice animal. But one does wonder when he last saw the farrier!

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well he has a lovely kind eye by the looks of the photos, he seems a sweetie. Those feet though!!! I know everyone else has already said it but yuck!!! It's going to be interesting seeing what happens when the shoes come off.

///prefer your name for him than his original! :-) :-)

and d'ya think tetley and tia will understand him with his american accent? hehehehehe///
Have I missed something??? It wouldn't be the first time!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Yes well done Ann, what a piece of detective work. His name was Mr Marucci and he is indeed a MURKIN!

He was born in the US and shipped to Ireland at 18 months, then to York at 2 years from where he was raced at 2,3 and 4, three times this year alone.

I'm about to post more photos - when I said his head was exquisite, I MEAN exquisite (If you like TB heads that is :-) )

I have just looked at his feet and I could cut his shoes off with nippers by chopping through his hoof wall above the nail heads - he has half an inch of hoof wall. It's scandalous foot management.

He is pronounced toe out right now but I think that his legs are straight. We'll find out in a minute when those damned shoes are off.

C

C

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like him, he looks like a really nice person as well as being nicely put together.

Shame about his hooves, poor chap. He really landed on them (pun intended) when you got him, I bet the relief will show all over him when you get them trimmed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home