Such a delicate flower
You are so right about these delicate flowers of TBs. You can't mistake when there is anything wrong with them, can you? Tia's back leg is now completely cold. So there was an infection in there which must have been miniscule to have come out through that tiny hole! But her leg was outrageously hot yesterday, as if it was going to burn its way out through her skin :-0 Thanks to Claire for encouraging me to put a poultice on. I would have waited another day, without her suggesting that it would be a good idea, and by then it could have got into her bloodstream. You just don't expect infection in a wound which healed 5 weeks before and which you know you kept open to allow to heal from the bottom up, do you? There must have been a tiny spec of foreign stuff in there which took a while to cause enough irritation to break out.
Anyway, now she is much better in three of her feet, leaving the off fore very slightly warm compared with the other three - and noticeably lame! Delicate flower stuff again I'm afraid. The heat is not enough, and neither is her pulse enough, to suggest that she has an abscess. There is no filling in her leg at all. But the lameness is quite marked :-( I have found a little hole in her sole which doesn't go right through to the sensitive structures. So that is either a very old abscess, already grown out, or it is "inward" damage from a stone, which would account for a bruise. But she is not sensitive AT ALL to hoof testers, so goodness only knows what's going on in there ;-). I'm not having a vet out to start cutting holes or prescribing antibiotics, so I have been and bought her MSM, which she can go on tonight. That's an anti-inflammatory which contains sulphur which is known to help rebuild tissue injuries, so I hope it will help her.
It's still winter here today. Rain, 4 degrees, windchill factor down to minus 4. I gave up this morning and went to MacDonald's for breakfast and chucked the horses out. (This is a conscious decision with Tia - I think the best thing for her foot is to be in the cold wet mud all day as a natural cold compress/poultice - she doesn't do mad things out in the field, so if it is a soft tissue injury I don't think it will hurt her to be out strolling gently about.)
Barefoot fans will tell you that this sort of thing is common with newly unshod horses. I pushed the trotting too far on the road and we are paying for it :-( I haven't really used this forum to talk about barefoot because I don't want those of you who shoe to think I am trying to persuade you to barefoot. Honestly, I'm not. It's not easy, and if you don't trim for yourself it's not even cheap! Shoes work fine for most horses and owners. But I have some stuff that I want to talk about for the barefooters, so please excuse us for a while here :-)
Tetley is doing what he did last year, but with less disastrous consequences - his bars are getting spots of white line disease and rotting away. I've cut out three different bits in three feet in the last week. Thankfully, he's not unsound with it, but it is disturbing to see his bars go into shreds that you can peel off and see the lines in the laminae underneath. I treat the hole with peroxide and then harden the exposed sole with formaldehyde at 8% (basically, Keratex by another name). You can tell when there is rot underneath the bar because there is a black mark at the top. When I dig at it with a knife, there is usually an even bigger piece hidden underneath. The only solution is to cut it out, because the bugs that cause it can't live in oxygen and you have to get oxygen in there to kill them. If you don't open the hole, you can't get it in, so it's the lesser of two evils. Last year he abscessed in the same three feet, so this is a big improvement this year. (Tracey I know that you are still waiting for photos, I'm still waiting for decent weather and warm hands!) Sorry to anyone this is old hat to, I'm just writing it in case it helps the newer barefooters.
I hope to have better news of both Tia and the weather tomorrow.
C.

7 Comments:
Hoof abscesses can be really frustrating. My baby was laid up for several months last show season with an occult lameness.
First, he had a major crack in his hoof. We cleaned and stablized that with a copper patch--my farrier wisely did not want to fill the crack with compound.
Still he was "off."
Vet, farrier, I could not find the cause and treated it with soaks, poultices, etc. and many visits.
Finally, vet and farrier managed to show up at the same time and began a totally determined exam.
By some miracle of chance they finally discovered the site of an abscess.
Now, here's the relation. My horse never really did show any reaction to the hoof testers until that very last day when they happened to hit exactly the right spot. X rays showed nothing and we where getting convinced he had bruised his coffin bone because that did show some inflammation.
Incredibly frustrating. Hopefully, Tia will be a much easier and much quicker cure.
glad the leg is ok, shame about the foot. Interesting your thought about there being a tiny bit of something still in there. happened to my finger once, GP had referred me to hospital, the day before the appointment it finally came out ...
and i agree with jean about finding abcesses/corns, can be a total nightmare whether horse is barefoot or shod!
I found what you were saying about Tetley's feet interesting, as well; never had to deal with that one ...
I have another interesting finding. As Caroline and Emma know, Murphy has been footy for a number of weeks now. As a last resort to try to help him (seen as he has broken both his Epics - again!)I put him on Homeopathic remedy Bellis Perenis. Three days later he is more comfortable on his feet and now I can see a massive bruise all the way round the sole callous in his front feet! Maybe it was really deep bruising that has only just become apparent to me causing him discomfort. I just wonder what he had been doing to do that!
Caroline - tell me about your Boas. I am fed up with Epics as he has now trashed two pairs. They were bought back in bits of three this time! I know you like them, do you think they would suit a horse with feet like Murphy's?
Hope Tetley and Tias' feet are right again soon.
Never had a TB so not had to deal with delicate flowers...its remarkable something so tiny can cause such a problems so far down the line!
I'd be hopeless..dont think ive used a poultice in my life.:0
Hope foot recovers quickly.
Pleased Tetleys doing so well despite his foot 'goings on'.
Caroline dont apologise I miss hearing you talk 'feet'...your my inspiration!
There does seem to be alot of footy horses at the mo..we are in boots and pads right now,frogs are in tatters despite daily attention...hardly surprising with all the rain I suppose.
Tam I have Boas and have found them ok but lethal in mud/wet grass also mine stretched after a few uses so keep spinning and flying off!
They are also destroyable..Polo stood on the back of his and ripped it down the seam...luckily cobbler repaired it for £1!
Ummm! I'd quite like to buy an indestructable boot next, which would at least survive going on a horse walker! Not like he had been galloping through muddy fields or anything. If any one has any suggestions of a really decent boot, please let me know!
Yes I quite agree, I have missed your barefoot posts too. It helps to know that I'm not the only one struggling with a footy horse. And it's always interesting to hear the developments and goings on at Ankers!
Urrrrrggggghhhh! Don't scare me Jean! A friend of mine has a slightly lame horse which has had a hind leg filling overnight for more than a YEAR, which has only just burst out at the heel..... what a nightmare the occult ones are. I wonder how many shod horses are wandering around with them, but not able to feel them - and whether that is a bonus of shoes, or a drawback?!?!?! There's a philosophical question for this time of night :-)
Tia is MUCH better this evening and now on MSM too, so I am hoping for "back to normal" soon.
Tam, my guess as to what happened to Murphy was that he bruised his feet when you moved to Beaver Hall. My recollection is that around the same time the ground froze hard, and he was turned out there when he had been unable to go out at your previous place. Unused to either going out, or the hard frozen ground, he could easily have had a little play about and bruised his feet.
Do you remember that high hind leg action you saw Tia do - that was the same. I forgot to report either the action or the fact that when she stopped doing it, I could see a pink ring right around the white line in both back feet.
I've only ever used my Boas on the road, but I see that you can now buy studs for them, so the grass issue must be known. Of all the boots on the market I would rate them best(though Nicola obviously gave them a hard time!?!?! :-) ). I think they would fit Murphy's shape of foot, IDx, really well. Cheapest place to buy them (other than grabbing a pair off eBay) is horseandrider.co.uk £97.50 a pair. If he is at all thin skinned you'll need gaiters too - cheapest from Robinsons in the new catalogue, £8 a pair. If you don't use gaiters be very careful how tight you screw the button, they have caused some horrendous bruises where people have screwed them "too tight" - though it varies with the horse how tight is "too tight".
I'd lend you my 4's to try but I'm pretty sure he'll be a 3 or possibly even a 2.
Probably the most totally indestructible boot available is the Swiss boot, but I don't like the look of them. There are plenty for sale on eBay if you take a look.
C
By the way, didn't mean I "didn't likethe look" as in "they look funny" but as in "they look like they'll cause fitting or rubbing problems. I believe Ramey gave up using them in favour of Boas.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home