Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Hand reared horses - advice please

I have been offered a hand reared Selle Francais gelding of the right age and size and price to make him an interesting proposition. Can any of you advise me of the pros and cons of hand-reared horses?

I already know that he is very pushy with people who do not give him a smack if he gets over-familiar. And can attempt to stand on his hind feet and "box" stable girls who are nervous when they go into the field to catch him. Which is why he is cheap of course.

He is already broken and riding calmly, but very green (not an issue).

Would I be taking a huge risk to buy him???

4 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

My mate works at a stud where they've hand-reared a couple.
They were very forward and familiar but not really difficult..... this is probably because they arent allowed get away with such behaviour which is probably half the battle.
This lad might be so spoilt and ingrain nothing with change it BUT if anyone can...........

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Claire said...

if you needed another project ....

but if you don't, i know someone who has always wanted a selle francais (whether she'd want hand reared i don't know, but could ask ...)

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely no experience of a hand-reared horse, but if they have got as far as riding it surely it can't be too bad?
I have heard/seen articles about hand reared horses that were just impossible and had to be put down because they were completely unmanageable as they thought they were "humans" with absolutely no respect and couldn't interact with horses either.

If this horse had a foster mother of some sort and was socialised with other horses then perhaps it is a possibility.

I seem to remember Richard Maxwell had one to try to train (magazine article)as a sort of last chance saloon.

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Selle francais. they are powerfull athlete with a thinking head. he might not have enough fizz for you tho ????

If you tell me his geneaology, I can research on him in France.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home