Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I'm too old for this.

Ooooch. Ouchhhhh. Aaaargh. Have I fallen off? Been trodden on?? Been knocked flying??? Nope. It's just that it's 48 hours after jumping for the first time since last November, and all the aches and pains are at their worst! You know how it is - you sit down for an hour, seize up and then can't move.

Unlike Tia, who was as happy as larry to go out for a hack this morning with no boots on her feet. She swung along, a bit squitty - with either a little anxiety or a lot of excitement (difficult to tell, she is a very laid back creature but something was going on). She tried to jog all the way home, but did accept being told not to. Though she did do a fair distance of the home journey in shoulder in, because that was the easiest way to keep her in a nice even walk. She was keen to trot, did not want to stop at the end of the trot, and generally nicely on her toes. I think as she gets fitter she is going to get sharper, and that suits me fine as I can cope with more as I get to know her too.

Tetley is - play the trumpet fanfare - totally, absolutely, sound for a third day running. He did such superb work that I had to stop after 25 minutes, because it wasn't fair to keep asking him to do more and more stuff when he was doing half pass and walk/canter/walk and collected trot so fabulously!

Now, back to Marmite. Shock horror, Marmite is to be sold in plastic jars!!!
The outrage of it has provoked an article in the Independent which my brother has sent me a copy of. My favourite bit from it is:

Man cannot live by bread alone – he needs from time to time to toast it, spread it with butter and then add something that tastes like a yeast cell’s unwashed underpants – and by means of that be reassured that some things in life are as they always were............. something that blocks the chinks in the wall so that we feel sheltered from the steady, cold wind of the alien and the novel. It’s why expatriate communites will almost always ensure that they have a supply on hand and it’s why we feel a secret thrill of pleasure when foreigners can’t handle it.


Is it me?

C :-)

6 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger cloud_cirrus said...

It's worse than just plastic jars, I can hardly bring myself to say it but here goes, it's also going to be in squeezy bottles like ketchup!!!

I like the glass jars and mine never get old enough for the top to stick anyway.

Mamite on really hot buttered toast or a mature chedder and marmite sandwich on fresh just out of the bakers granary bread, mmmmmmmm

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Claire said...

I heard that about marmite as well, it was on radio newcastle yesterday, I really don't know what is wrong with glass jars, they're classics of design and I bet the marmite won't taste the same out of plastic!

did you know they have a website?

see here: http://www.ilovemarmite.com/default.asp

and we can vote on the notion as well.

Good news about tetley, by the way ... just as an afterthought, LOL

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Do you eat it off a spoon Ann? And drink it made up with hot water? I have it for breakfast every single day on toast, unless I am going out and have an egg muffin at MacDonalds instead.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger cloud_cirrus said...

I scrape the knife with my finger or lick it after I have spread it on my bread, can't have any going to waste!!

I voted on the website Claire, it looks like the traditionalists are winning.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

.....Caroline pleeeeeeese dont make marmite sarnies,its minging!

Maybe they've decided to switch to plastic jars because some folks (not mentioning any names)drop them before paying for them!:0

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Nicola I was planning Marmite sarnies for lunch when you visit. Shame I'll have to eat your share.


C :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home