Friday, March 17, 2006

Head for the skies!

Well it was so great that I was so excited that I tried to post last night but the system wouldn't let me.

Potter and Spotty were my favourites. Potter was a gigantic Steppes Eagle and Spotty was a spotted (no, surely not!) eagle owl. Spotty was my favourite. She wasn't as awesome as the hawks and buzzards and falcons, but she had so much more character. She actually seemed to like being sweet-talked and responded to Allan and I and stayed with us much longer than with the other two people who were on the day with
us.

Here's a pic of spotty:



In the morning we flew six birds, having them land on our fist when the falconer put some shredded chick on the glove. You don't want to do this if you are a die-hard vegetarian - having a chick's leg put into your hand is probably not going to make your day! The harder you could hold the chick-bit, the longer they stayed as they tried to get it.

Spotty stayed once it was gone though. The biggest hawk we flew was a naughty one. They can't let dogs into the centre now because she has attacked a labrador in the car park! (In theory, birds of prey are afraid of dogs because they are their only predators.) And on a demo one day she ignored the lure and caught a fox instead and they had to prize it out of her claws before she ripped it to shreds in front of a bunch of holidaymakers!

We also flew a Kestrel (I had no idea they were so tiny! Only about 8 inches tall, But so attractive too). We didn't fly Potter (the Eagle day is £250 :-0 ) but we saw him on his stand. He had "attitude" :-) You wouldn't want to pick a fight with him. I can't imagine what having him land on your arm would be like. The big bad buzzard that we flew landed with a crunch!

In the afternoon we went walking with a pair of Harris hawks which had been taught to hunt rather than fly in demonstrations. It was a bit like walking a dog - we walked along and they flew after us. Sometimes they flew away, but then they came back again. It was good but not nearly as much fun as the morning had been.

I absolutely thoroughly recommend the morning session if you can get to Junction 20 on the M6, or if you are ever on holiday in Cheshire or North Wales. It's definitely worth a trip. And no, hawks and owls don't get bird flu - it should really be called poultry flu! A bit like horses and camels don't get foot and mouth.

After yesterday today has been, well, less than exciting. It is back to winter again, snowing, and all I have done is school. Tia is being over-fed to keep her weight on and she was pretty upitty to ride for the first 5 minutes, refusing to stand still for a second. But she calmed down pretty quick when she realised that tantrums weren't going to get her anywhere, which bodes well for when she is fit enough to event. When that will ever be, who knows!? Even my dressage is in doubt right now, because we won't be able to get the lorry out if it stays like this. At the moment, she is going to have to be the most naturally talented jumper that the world has ever seen if she is to make Bradwall with the amount of training time we have left now! Don't hold your breaths.

C

6 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've gotta love eagle owls :D Not that I've ever done anything fancy like flying them but I've met a couple. Hadn't really thought about the whole having to hold bits of chick thing, don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon....I never used to be this squemish...

I'll send you some of our weather across, it's dull and a bit miserable but nothing that would stop you getting to your dressage!

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birds of prey are so cool. I am a big fan. One of my friends used to hunt with them. He told me that Eagles were quite difficult to handle. They even hunted deer with Eagles, but then the eagles would go for anything as big as a deer ... dog, goat, sheep etc...

When he did his "service militaire", he worked with the falcons on military airports B-)

Still snowing ? huh? Stupid weather, here we go from 15 degrees c to -1, aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh I have enough!

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooooo jealous, I just love brids of prey and especially owls...fab!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger cloud_cirrus said...

I used to house sit for a friend who had a barn owl. I had to prepare the chicks and the odd dead mouse for her food, and exercise her in her run as well. The first time they go into descent mode and you see these huge talons descending towards your hand is quite daunting isn't it?

I also worked in a large posh building in Reading that got rid of all the pigeons living on the roof by regularly flying an eagle and some type of hawk, not sure which one, but it was pretty big. The eagle definitely had a big presence, the hawk was very friendly though, the handlers used to come in for coffee when they had finished. You should have seen the pigeons disappear though, and they didn't come back for ages.

We have got somewhere local that you can do something similar, the other thing we have got that seems quite popular is walking with wolves, that could be next year's birthday treat!!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Claire said...

walking with wolves? now where's that, that would be interesting.

they used to hunt with birds on horseback of course (i gather some hunts are now ....)

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

////Are you tempted to get a bird?

I was before I went, but now I am a bit less interested than I was. There are two problems really. One is that they don't really interact with their handlers, they take food and that's about it. The owl was the most interactive, which was why I liked her best. The second problem is that they spend six months of the year moulting. So you fly them for six months, and then they sit on a perch for six months. I'd have a problem with that sort of on/off routine I think. They are surprisingly cheap though, about £175 for a chick of the type of owl I liked best.

///I had to prepare the chicks and the odd dead mouse for her food,

The "balanced diet" that they feed at the aviary we went to is chick 5 days a week, mouse one day a week and quail one day a week. Apparently mice and quail have trace elements that they need. The chicks are one day old males that are by-products of the egg industry, poor scraps.

I quite envy you the barn owl house-sitting Tracey.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home