Saturday, January 23, 2010

An easy day?

The Field Master started by telling us that because of the layoff and unfit horses it would be an easy day. He lied :-)! It was a fabulous day, but I'm glad that I kept Radar so fit. We have been fording rivers, piling across soggy fields and jumping plenty. The hunt fences are neither here nor there to Radar now. Just small diversions in between the "real" jumps - hedges! We did quite a few of them, but there was one in particular where there was a hunt jump of only about 3 feet wide with a post to smack your knee on each side. I looked at the hedge, and Radar looked at the hedge, and away he went. It was enormous. Probably five feet - but it was a sight bigger on the other side! I slipped the reins to the buckle and sat back with my head practically on his bum, and he landed it fine. And then we got the biggest compliment of our lives - the Field Master turned to me and said "I should have nailed that hedge like you did!". Other people were talking about what a marvellous jump Radar did too. I am so proud of him.

He hadn't forgotten a thing in spite of not having been out for five meets, six weeks. In fact I think he was the best he's ever been. He isn't pulling any more, he is just settling into a strong canter. I don't have to stop him, he stops when he catches up with the red coats. He stands at checks and at the meet I even got on from the ramp of the lorry for the first time. Mind you, he was terribly excited and jumping around once I was on board, and he'd been a moving target the whole time to get the tack on!

I shall be a bit on tenterhooks until I see how his legs are tomorrow, and one in particular of course, but I shall fall asleep happy tonight and dream of jumping that hedge!

C

8 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Jean said...

What a thrill! I remember jumping a big hedge in an event with Russell and how wonderful it felt. Its in incredible feeling when your horse just takes you over as if he can fly.

I guess your concept of "fit" and the master's are two different things. I too am glad Radar was "really" fit instead of fictionally fit.

But there are, unfortunately, plenty of riders out there who have no concept of what a fit horse really is and how much proper work it takes to make one. Amazingly, a lot of those not fit horses will be OK tomorrow, but I'd wager a lot more will not be quite sound. It's sad.

But this blog is about you and your superstar hunter, Radar the Magnificent! He was "born to the field." How lucky you are to have found him AND, he you.

Mandatory three cheers and three cheers more!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Nic Barker said...

Yeehaa!! Smiling reading about your fab day - what a lovely boy Radar is :-) Glorious down here too - perfect weather, hounds on blistering form, happy, happy horses and another 21 miles of hills, mooors, valleys and tracks on the hunting clock :-)

As with your guys, there were the properly fit horses (gad to say mine included) who were still pinging at the end of the day, but we were a select crowd with about 4 or 5 others. Most other people only lasted a couple of hours and the first really nasty descent got rid of the rest ;-)

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Judith said...

Sounds great - that "Am I ever going to land?" feeling.

I remember having a great day hunting and going round a couple of weeks later on a bridlepath and couldn't believe the size of the drop that we had come over.

You have done a great job on Radar, to make him such a super hunter.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Claire said...

glad you had a good day - but rather you than me, LOL

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Everyone had a great time Claire and loads of them don't jump at all. Grins all round!

Judith I really think Radar has a hunting brain. Whether it's the Irish in him or what I don't know, but he is a different horse in the hunting field. On cewe got over the jumping in company glitch, he just went from strength to strength.

Glad you had a good time too Nic - better weather than us by the sound of it.

How lucky indeed Jean, I feel blessed.

His leg is cold and tight tonight, so let's hope it's the same in the morning.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Radar is absolutely fine! Isn't that great?? I had the choice between riding Jazz and having a snooze today and the snooze won.

C

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Sounds brill!
I really enjoyed our days hunting it does give you such a buzz. The snow has ruled out going again season as I couldnt even get Ali out of the field for 3weeks never mind keep him in work but we'll definitely go again.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

We can go out together "in spirit" Nicola. Want a sip of my sloe gin??

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home