A conversation with the Hunt Chairman
I've been having an email conversation with the Hunt Chairman that I thought you might enjoy:
ME: Could I possibly use this email address to let our Hunt Chairman know that if we were allowed to wear long raincoats as my friend who hunts Exmoor does, then you would have had my £25 cap today. As it was, I couldn't face sitting in a damp saddle for three hours getting gradually wetter and colder.
I suspect I'm not alone and that a rule change would result in a fair bit more income for the hunt for the second half of the season.
CHAIRMAN: Thanks for your comments which have been noted.
Common sense usually prevails in these circumstances. It’s the Field Master’s decision on the day of course but I am sure that no objections would be raised to someone taking sensible precautions against the weather when its appropriate. I know of at least one occasion at the beginning of the season when rainwear was sanctioned by the Masters.
I hope you understand that it’s our intention to uphold and preserve all hunting traditions which is why we stipulate a dress code. We would like to maintain the high standards we have achieved but hopefully in a sensible manner.
Next time we get a stinker of a day like Saturday bring your raincoat along just in case.
(note from me - far from "common sense" prevailing, I have never, ever, seen anyone at this hunt or the other one that I used to hunt with wear a raincoat no matter how foul the weather was. When the Northeast Cheshire hunted as guests of Exmoor, they expressed amazement that they hunt in raincoats.)
ME:thanks for your answer, I appreciate you taking the time. I also appreciate that hunts like tradition, but unless I know before I set out from home that I'm going to be allowed to wear a raincoat if I feel the need to, then I'm afraid that I won't be plaiting up.
I've been on the receiving end before of a telling-off for buttoning my collar against driving sleet because the Field Master didn't feel the need to have his buttoned (not with your hunt, but it sticks in the memory!). So bringing my coat along "just in case" the Field Master feels the same way as I do about getting wet that day isn't going to work for me, sorry :-(
I'll see you on Saturday, if it's not raining!
That was it. The other thing you need to know is that hunts run to a fine margin cost-wise and they lose £25 every time that I don't turn up because they won't let me wear a mac. What do you think?
C

11 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
My comment was the deleted one. After I posted I saw a dreadful grammar error. Not one I could abide...so I reposted. *G*
I too appreciate tradition, but there is a time when common sense should prevail.
Reminds me of a dressage show I rode in. When it was nearly time for my class, it was raining. I put on a "conservative raincoat," as stipulated in the rules--navy blue, fitted nicely.
When I got the the arena for my test, the judge (a former Olympian well known for her "attitude") said, "What's that you're wearing?"
"A conservative raincoat according to the rules," I replied.
"Well," she replied huffily, "it's not raining enough now, is it." (or something to that effect.)
I answered, "The rules say I have the option to wear it and it was raining when I warmed up. I don't have a groom to help me out, so I either ride in it, as the rules state, or..."
She grumpily told me to go ahead.
Don't remember how I did in the class, but I rode my test and stayed dry during the next shower. (If I recall, it started raining again during my test.)
On the other hand, I remember another big name judge who had me write on a rider's score sheet that gloves were required at that level and a rider improperly attired was to be eliminated. He didn't eliminate her--big three star event and riders came from all over the country--but he just wanted the rider to know. Think there was another issue with someone wearing half chaps too. This guy was a well respected judge and he bent the rules to accomodate riders who had just made a stupid mistake.
Guess there are rules and then the kind of people whose minds and hearts a bigger than the rules.
Well nobody would ever hunt in this area of wet, wild, windy Wales if there was such a strict dress code!!! The MFH (a neighbour and good friend) always goes out well buttoned up against the elements on all but the rare mild sunny days. Our lot wear long coats, waterproof trousers - the lot!
Last year I bought the master a fleece hat cover which also covers the neck and ears. OK, so I chose black rather than bright pink, but she wears that most days out hunting too!
Liz
Well that's Wales and Exmoor then Liz! Cheshire County Set are often reputed to have more money than brains :-) I love Wales, I was born in Haverfordwest.
I have so much more respect for judges who know when the rules matter and when they don't - that's real judgement! I'm not sure UK rules would allow a raincoat at all Jean, I'll have to go and look that one up.
C
Oh! Are you Welsh? that would explain a LOT ^-^ LOL!!!
I think they should flipping well get over themselves and be glad to have your support. Who on earth does the "master" think he is? All the ones I've met have had a foul mouth and little to be proud of in reality.
They either become more modern or get consigned to the history books. Mind you £25 is a bargain, my local hunt is now in excess of £70 to get soaked, covered in mud and ride in a bog all day.....I think not!
Cheers Tracey B
The sub is only £50 a year too Tracey - it is cheap by contrast with others!
Muriel I'm Cornish by breeding m'dear and that explains a lot more - opinionated, inbred, wanting self-rule ..... :-))))
I'm betting my bottom dollar that this "tradition" they are talking about was nothing of the sort in the 1800's - I'll be very surprised of they didn't ride in long waxed cotton coats back then!
C
C
Mrs Alice Hayes (wife of Horace Hayes, author of the renowned 'Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners') wrote in her book 'The Horsewoman' in the late 1800's, with regard to hunting before Christmas:
"A light meal, if it be only a cup of cocoatina and a slice of bread and butter, should be taken before starting, and if it is wet or threatening, a good rain coat should be worn."
If wearing a raincoat was acceptable in Leicestershire hunting country in the 1800s I am darned sure it should be acceptable in the 21C in hunting country which can never aspire to the 'heights' of Leicestershire - as long as you remember to partake of your cocoatina (do you think it was like ovaltine?) of course!
Michaela
Well found Michaela! I have forwarded the quote to the Chairman. Cocoatina sounds delicious!
C
nice one caroline. i guess the cheshire hunt set must feel itself a cut above the rest of the country altogether, then. stupid people ....even a proper hunt coat won't withstand the sort of rain of the other week!
Stupid isn't it Claire!?
C
Post a Comment
<< Home