Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Just another day

I could hardly see from one end of the arena to the other today, but at least it wasn't raining, so Jazzy and I went outdoors to get some more space. We did some trot/canter transitions, which is not something that we work on very often. It was interesting how cantering for only a few strides before asking for the down transition exposed how much better his canter right is than his canter left. The trouble was all down to bend, or lack of it :-) , in both the trot and the canter. He worked very hard and was only a tiny bit stroppy once. Normally he would freak out in mist like that, but not today!

I rode indoors with Zippy, I figured I was wet enough already. He did some beautiful work. He argues with a walk/halt transition a bit, but the shoulder in, travers, slower/faster walk were all great. The walk/trot transitions aren't sharp enough off my leg yet, but he's getting there.

I was really pleased that there was almost no reaction to the cold saddle. And he only threw a strop once and started backing up, which was quickly fixed by one application of the aid known as "the Pony Club kick".

A good, if ordinary, day.

C

2 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jean said...

I keep remembering one dressage show I attended where the fog was so bad in the morning the judges could not see the horses at the far end of the arena. Have no idea how they scored those movements!!

Pony club kick is rude, says Tucker. Fortunately, my knees cannot generate a very good one. Glad Zippy is of a different mindset.

When Jazz changes stiff sides, you will know you have progressed another major step in his training. I always work just one more effort at each exercise on the stiff side before I finish.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zippy thinks that the Pony Club kick is a ustified reaction to the "Teenager Defiance" Jean :-)

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home