You see, that's the problem.
It was a perishing cold day today with regular deluges of rain. I didn't feel like riding anyone, so I didn't. And there's the rub.
I want Georgie to hunt on Saturday if the weather is not too bad. But it is simply unfair to expect him to carry me for four hours when he is only being ridden for a few hours a week in total. Since he hunted last two weeks ago he has had no fast work at all, and in fact done no hacking either. He's had some pretty hefty schooling sessions, fitness and energy wise, but it's not enough.
I really am not interested in doing the work on a daily basis to keep him fit enough to hunt of a Saturday, it's just a chore. My days of being prepared to hack for two hours in the rain were over long ago. And if I hack anyone on the intermittent days when a hack in winter would be fun, I really want to take Jazz, who feels so great to ride.
So I'm now feeling guilty about not doing George justice, and that's the problem with having three, at least one can't have what it needs unless I ride as a job of work, which isn't why I keep horses.
I'm thinking of trying to find an adult to come and ride George out twice a week. Then I can still do the fun bit of schooling him and they can keep him fit. I'm just not sure where I can find that person from.
It's disgusting again tonight, perishing cold and throwing it down with rain. The boys are all tucked up in their pyjamas :-)
C

7 Comments:
Needless to say, my sympathy. I cannot keep three fit either. Toby is, thank goodness, retired, but when I was trying to keep him fit enough for others to use in lessons, Chance was even more left out. Now I am trying to work Tucker and Chance with the occasional hack on Toby.
No fun riding in the rain. Maybe "way back when" it was the noble thing to do, but now....not.
Surely there is someone around who'd ride George.
Could you ride and lead? that would cut the workload..
Sadly unless you can find the person to do the fittening work (you might but decent people who are trustworthy and reliable seem to be like hens teeth) you can't do the fun stuff. It sucks but it's true.
:-(
Well the weather is certainly crap....but it is due to brighten up again next week.
Ride and lead would simply make exercising both those horses a chore :-(
I can't do it anyway, the roads are not wide enough, and if they were, how could I lead from Jazz :-0 ?!?!
Oh ta Mandeigh, that's hunting on Saturday gone because of the rain anyway then!
I knew three in winter would be an issue Jean, and it is. I just don't want my horses to turn into work and that's the danger with three fully working young fellows.
I want to start teaching Zippy to jump indoors soon, and I'm reconsidering letting George go on loan for the winter, but I know I would just hate to lose control of his day to day welfare ....
Oh well, all winter left to sort it out.
C
well it's a shame i'll be working 9 - 5 or i could have helped you out, given i'll be just down the road for a short while at least (assuming i leave molly at home, of course!)
we've had bright sunshine with a bit of a cold breeze, but boiling when out of the wind....hopefully i'll fetch the good weather with me on sunday!
I am sure you can find a sensible teenager girl, who deserves a poney but cannot afford it. Usually this type of child do not take for granted the horse given into their care.
Yep I am in awe of you and Jean to have 3 horses, or even 2 to ride. I won't be able to do so. Not with a family to look after.
It is a bit sad at our yard, because of teh econimic crisis, people are letting go of their horses. People hwo have had horses years (10 to 20 yrs) ...
Change of time ...
Certainly not worth movign Molly until you know for sure where you'll be Claire, is it?
Muriel how sad that people are having to give up their horses. Have they lost their jobs, or what?
C
Post a Comment
<< Home