Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Wind, rain, cold brrrrrrr

Cor, no chance of riding outside this morning, it was pretty foul. Never mind, Zippy went in the barn and was completely sound. We did 20 minutes, mostly walk, some trot. All very good indeed for a little boy of three. Little? Who am I kidding, he's even beginning to look huge now, as well as measuring 16.2 :-) His knee is still slightly full, but the rest of his leg is right down and the cut is fine, but still weeping a little. I squirted hibiscrub hard into it with a syringe and nothing awful came out, so I'm happy with it.

I'm sure Jazz kicked Zippy. He is reluctant to get too close to Jazz to get into the barn. Before the weekend, he would just push Jazz out of the way. Not any more. It caused huge problems last night, because Zip wouldn't go into the barn at all, and ended up running round the yard. I had to come inside and wait until everyone had calmed down a bit, including me :-)

Jazz was like an undercooked ginger steamed sponge pudding to ride today - all pudding and not much steam :-) He just wasn't in the mood. I didn't fight him, I just figured he was feeling lazy today, and hey, don't we all feel like that from time to time? He did, after some warming up, do some absolutely top notch shoulder in and travers on each rein. He also did some trot lengthening (now remember the barn is too short for anything much) which was pleasing because of the way he pushed forward and upwards into it rather than rushing. And we actually got a canter/walk transition in only our second lesson of trying it. He does learn very quickly - when he's listening.

When I went out to call them last night I got a shock. They galloped up from the bottom of the field and shot past me like two exocet missiles. I think that previously Jazz has always accepted that Zippy was faster than him and it limited the speed that the pair of them ran around at. This time, Jazz was half a neck in front and Zippy was racing him, so they were going flat out. Boy are they FAST!

We hope to get to go showjump training tomorrow - I'm all excited!

C

8 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Looks like Zip was knocked down a peg or two. Since the pair of them live together, it should sort itself out pretty quickly. Once Jazz establishes himself as "herd boss," if that's the way it is going to be, Zip will learn respect, not fear.

Even mellowed out, Jazz seems to be a willing worker. Can't wait to hear on the show jumping report. May the sun shine or at least may the footing be good, because I have a feeling you will be going rain or shine....or is it indoors anyhow?

Reading of your successes is almost better than riding my own horses sometimes. *G* At least it is when I am stuck here at school. (I am on my break period.....)

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a good thing that Jazz hasn't any shoes, as he obviously kicked Zip quite hard. Another plus point!

Good luck with the jumping.

Judith

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a nasty hard little lump right on the side of the big bone in the top of his leg Judith. If Jazz had had shoes on, it might have been broken. At the very least the cut would have needed stitches.

We'll be outdoors if the weather forecast is accurate Jean, though we have an indoor option if it's wrong.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Claire said...

maybe jazz's previous spooking was something in his head that the object would make his breathing worse? that thought's been mulling in my head for a couple of day...

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Muriel said...

Thanks for the weather forecast ;-)
Flying to England this afternoon.

It is nice to hear that Jazz has recovered so nicely that he can race the whippersnapper (sp?) LOL

Waiting for your S-J report ;-)

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Nic Barker said...

Can you please keep the rain, wind and cold up north?! Still lovely down here and I have got used to the sunshine and lovely mild temperatures :-) Hang onto the nasty stuff for a couple more weeks, will you?

Lovely to hear how well the boys are doing!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Nic, it's your turn, surely?

Claire - yes and no, his nature is nappy, but the breathing made it worse.

Muriel, SJ report about to go up. Whippersnapper spelling perfect!

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home