Thursday, July 19, 2007

Still contemplating.

I really didn't think that I should ride Jazz today. One, I might punish him if he did anything wrong because I am still so annoyed/upset that he isn't getting the hang of this jumping lark. Two, he did an awful lot late yesterday afternoon and I think he probably needs the break.

So I rode Zip, who has not been ridden for three whole days. I felt no sense of trepidation getting on him - I stood on the block and asked him to come to me and he did, with only a tiny bit of fiddling about. He stood rock still while I sat down, waited for me to ask him to move off, and moved off quietly and calmly. As if he's been broken a year. What a star he has turned out to be after a very worrying start. Did I ever really write that I was afraid that he was going to be too sharp for me to ride???

We did some walk and trot on the outdoor surface, a bit of leg yield and then we stopped. He seemed to be very proud of his new Samuel Sharp bridle that I bought him off eBay recently. It's a comfort bridle of brilliant quality and it only cost me £37 including the postage. It's extra large and I thought that it would be too big (his head is a fair bit smaller than Jazz's) but it's just right and still has some room for him to grow a bit more.

I'm still scratching for more ideas on what else to try with Jazz's jump training. He did seem to really enjoy grids, but he also finds them terribly easy, so I can't see quite what doing more of them will achieve. All suggestions on a postcard please.

C.

4 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Postcard from Jean:

Do the grids if he likes them. Make them challenging by changing the distances. Put an oxer in the middle, make it a short stride from an initial vertical. Then, perhaps another vertical, close to the oxer to make him rock back. There are all kinds of "problems" you can create for him with grids, all of which will help boost his jumping confidence and gymnastic ability.

Is there someone you know with a bold cross country horse? I really did like the suggestion of doing some pairs/jumping. You could start out in the arena, and go out from there. Another horse enjoying himself might inspire Jazz.

In my woods, there are several fallen trees in places where they could be jumped. Maybe jumps in a truly natural environment might make him think it was an interesting adventure to go over them.

And, how about the trainer who broke Zip? Maybe he has some ideas that could help you with Jazz. It never hurts to consult a professional.

End of postcard.

Meantime, what a cuddlebuns Zip is becoming. I can just picture him showing off his new bridle with a big grin on his face.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

Postcard from ML:

Jean has some great ideas; build on what you know he likes, to boost his confidence, riding pairs/jumping, the trainer who broke Zip, but I am not sure Jazz would go for natural obstacles. You still have time to take your time if you need to, thanks to the rainy summer and his young age.

Maybe he doesn't take to it and Zip turns out to be the star. One out of two is still something to be very proud of. And don't forget what a success Tetley was!!!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Muriel said...

I agree with Jean .. grid poles is ACE, you have an endless combinations of different difficulties. He may just need to build his self-confidence.

I am perplexed about what you are saying. Because on one hand warmblood grows and matures much slower than others horses. We just had a breakthrough with Linda ... she is 6 yrs old.

But another hand, Linda's Dam was doing young horses S-J competition at 4 yrs old ... I know b/c she was classified at National level..
So I do not know ???

Maybe cross-country is NOT fun for him ... maybe Show-jumping will be easier ... you know with proper set up of the jumps ... filler, poles before and after etc ...
You know ... you are more experienced than me ;-)

May be also a bit of patience ...

So where is the pic of Zip in his bright new bridle ?

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Yes, I must get more pics.

Yes, I must have more patience, Jazz isn't bright and he's turning out to be a typical warmplod :-) It's a good job he's such a lovely character or he'd be in Horse and Hound pronto :-)!

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home