Saturday, January 13, 2007

Back to form

Jazz is right back on form. Bending, stretching, happy to work. He spent the half hour we were working groaning non-stop. I find it delightful - I wonder when it will start to drive me mad? He sounds so human; moan, groan, ,,,groan, moan,,,, sigh ........ I can't believe that 12 weeks on I still find it so thrilling to be able to ride him at all. I still can't wait to get on his back, and enjoy every minute of our schooling sessions. We did some work on halt again today. It needs a lot more yet! We also did some work on straight lines, which was surprisingly good. It is difficult to do straight lines in a barn only 10 metres wide, but we managed it in walk and he got the idea pretty quickly. He did some pretty decent lateral work too, and then some smashing trot with huge bounce and elastic bend. Such FUN!

Tia had the day off but seemed very happy with life. Her walk, unridden, gets more languid and fluid every day.

Zip had his bridle on again today and was much happier about it. Less fussy with the ears, and MUCH less fussy with the bit. He has also put on a lot of weight very easily, so I think we might come to the conclusion that he wasn't quite getting what a growing boy needs. I feed him 3-4 kilos a day of high protein mix (like stud mix). It's what I would expect a young 16 hand horse to need, and he's looking good on it so I can probably cut it down a bit now.

I wonder what tomorrow has in store with Jazz? It could go one way or the other, but being in the 20x40 indoor school with walls is definitely a huge advantage :-)

C.

4 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Way to go, Jazz. And here I am trying to decide whether to ride or not. (Feeling guilty.) It is raining, though not hard, I just got adjusted at the chiroprator, some friends are coming over this afternoon for a visit, but....

Your enthusiasm makes my lack thereof pretty pitiful.

The indoor school for the show is a big plus as you know you will in general stay within the parameters of the arena. In my first test with PJ, years ago, we exited at one point. Then, I once--riding at Prix St. Georges, so it was even more ridiculous--had Toby just kind of jump out when I didn't get him collected enough at his counter canter and he just couldn't make the turn at the corner. So far, Tucker has stayed in. He hasn't always gone forward, but he has stayed in the ring.

Jazz will be fun no matter what. I hope he travels well to the show and is a happy camper no matter how his test turns out. With his feet feeling better, maybe he will be a superstar!

Zip is going to be a big boy! I keep telling you about that stepladder. *G*

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

more pics, more pics!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Jean I think I have it much easier than you do. For a start I work one day in two weeks. Second, I have a little indoor school for bad weather.

I agree, exiting the ring in a PSG must be SO embarassing! I hope one day to have the chance to exit the ring at that level of competition. All credit to you for being there at all!


Patience Mandeigh, patience. Another two weeks should show such a change that you will all wonder if he is the same pony.....

C

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger cloud_cirrus said...

At least some feet pics then if he is happy to have them taken. Go on, you've got to give us something!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home