Monday, September 04, 2006

Better....

I took Tetley out for a short hack today and he was ooooooodles better than yesterday. He wasn’t quite sound to start but not far off. And he worked sound within 20 minutes until he could even trot downhill with no problem. He is stabbing his feet outwards, just a tad, as he walks and wearing the outside edges a bit again, but nothing like they were before. But he has RAGING heat in the black footed hock, compared with warmth in the white one. Things are brewing.

I rode Caddy outdoors on the grit. He was a good boy. I had to put him on a square to get the trot right, but it was a really good effort when he did. And I had to walk him up the centre line doing alternate circles left and right to get the walk right, but that was really good too. He only needs more strength to improve, his work is already really nice. He is still a bit lazy, but he responds to a flick with the whip with good grace. Best of all I guess is that his mouth is completely unspoiled and that’s rare for an ex-racer.

I just had an inkling that if I gave Tia the extra work of the grit, which is still a bit deep, then she might fight me today. So I took her in the barn. I had to insist on her staying out in front of me, but I managed to do that with my thighs mostly. So we got some good walk and some lovely trot. I tried for some walk to canter, and blow me down, she got it! Very little fuss, especially compared to the histrionics that we had a week or two ago. I just kept her out in fron tof my leg and held on when she tried to throw her head up and she worked out that she could step into it without losing her balance. To finish up with, one very respectable walk-to-canter (no trot, big step into it) on each lead. We stopped then of course :- )

Mr Molie was back so I gave him some more highlights. The bleach keeps him away at least twice as long as anything else.

I’m away tomorrow seeing the massive sculptures in Edinburgh (house sitter is here Mr Burglar). See you Wednesday.

C

3 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Lovely rides again. How nice to hear how well everyone is going. Caddy and Tia are getting better reports each time you work them. The progress has been remarkable.

Honestly, I love Thoroughbreds. While they can be difficult, they train so quickly. Their emotional moments sometimes do interfere with their brains, but overall, intelligence wins, and I have to give Thoroughbreds high marks in that department.

I saw a lovely 4 year old when I went to take my lesson Saturday. A young girl was riding him and he was a steady, willing and quiet young fellow--a perfect horse for a junior rider. When you get a good one, nothing beats a Thoroughbred. (Gee, do I sound partisan?) *G*

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Jean you wouldn't be biased would you? Surely not, with a logon "Thoroughbredfan" :-)!!

Tracey work does get in the way on these foreign trips doesn't it :-( Everyone thinks it's fun but mostly all you see is another hotel room or the inside of another flying cigar tube. Glad you met Trish and had a great time - saw your pic of trimming her horses foot.

C

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Claire said...

you went to edinburgh and didn't say? and had to come past here to do it? .... ah well, the house is still a tip so just as well, and you would have had anought to do (takes us forever from here to get there...) ... no excuses next time though!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home