The engine wouldn't start.
Not the lorry's. Jazz's. He warmed up fine. He behaved superbly in a complete throng of horses milling around the warm-up area. He jumped the warm-up fences easily, but they were tiny. Then it was our turn. He was sticky at the little birch fence that was number 1 but he jumped it. Number two was a small log, completely innocuous. Would he jump it? Nope. I finally hit him to make him jump it at the third attempt. Then number three, a small suspended log over some stones at the base he completely refused to consider, until I walloped him on the approach and he staggered over on the fourth attempt. Already eliminated at fence three. I was not pleased!
Fence four was a very big log. I put him at it but he refused so I forced him to jump the smaller novice fence by the side. Five, six and seven were complex and twisty with poor approaches in a wood. They were no problem. Eight was tiny and he went to refuse and I forced him over. Nine was a bench where he stopped twice before he would jump it and then did it easily. Ten was a rails, fine. Eleven a pallisade, he stopped once. Twelve a rails, thirteen a very big hedge - he flew it! Fourteen a coffin with the middle ditch full of water - loads of horses eliminated including the one in front of me - Jazz? No problem, straight through! Fifteen was a step and tyres, sixteen another rails with some funny stuff on the ground line, seventeen a pallisade, eighteen railway sleepers "into space" (a drop on landing) nineteen a log, twenty a flower bed, twenty one another one on a related distance and the last fence was a stack of black drainage pipe under an arch made by the arms of a pair of JCBs. When I walked the course, I honestly didn't think I'd get him near the last, but he was accepting my word by now, and did it at the first approach.
Basically, he doesn't want to start, but once he has got properly underway he has no problem jumping at all. He has begun to accept my word for it that he has to jump even if he doesn't really want to, and he is finding things that would have been too complex a few weeks ago very easy. Size is of no issue, the hedge really was a decent fence and so were a number of others. We just have to crack this problem with not wanting to start. I would blame leaving the collecting ring, but he does it in training too. I think the reason that he started the first four fine at Draycott was that he hated the warm-up fence. So we got our early battle over with in the collecting ring.
SH and I are currently devising the training strategy which will convince him he has to start when he's told to. Then I am going to try and squeeze another xc session in before Marchington on Sunday. I am disappointed that he didn't perform better, but he really is progressing and you can feel what a superb time we are going to have when he sorts himself out. It feels agonisingly slow, but I know that we are really getting somewhere now.
C

6 Comments:
oh dear .. hope you get it sorted before next weekend....
but on the positive side, he's jumping really well
can we have some pictures?
Verrrrry interesting behavior pattern. You are going to have to convince him he must jump the first fence no matter what. He somehow has himself convinced that he doesn't have to.
I am sure you and SH will come up with a worthy strategy. Let me think on it too. If I have any ideas, I'll let you know. Clearly it is all psychological at this point as his physical ability and jumping technique are well set.
Wonder if some kind of gymnastic exercise out of the box and into the first approach would unlock his body so he couldn't help but respond to your driving aids???
How much warming up did you do?
It is quite easy to feel "oh poor horse needs all his energy to do the cross country course" but some need more work to start with. The fact that he improved and tackled some harder fences as the round went on is pleasing.
He keeps everyone guessing!
Judith
As soon as I get as far as the one the photographer is at Claire! I have one shot but the fence is tiny, I'm waiting for a better one. It won't come from today, the photographer was at the log I missed out.
Jean now you really have set me thinking. I'm pretty sure that a snake approach or even a circle before the fence (both legal and fault-free) would see him more able to jump the first, and in fact I can repeat it for other fences too. It'll clock up a huge number of time faults, but who cares at this stage?
Judith he warmed up beautifully for half an hour. We needed bigger warm-up fences but you have to take what's there and they were too small.
I am, relatively, pleased with his progress. When he does jump well it is absolutely fabulous. By the end of the season we will definitely have it cracked. It's a shame it will take that long, but he is a warmblood, after all :-) !
C.
Hate to say it...some folks around here call them "Dumbbloods." *G* However, my little Chance is very clever and we know Zip is too.
I think with Jazz, part of it is his big, bulky body and big muscles. It takes more concentration for him to get all that working. He is still young and not yet really wise to the ways of the world.
Circles would be good, as would perhaps some half pass, or anything that might keep him from holding his body against you.
And you are right. Who cares about time faults at this point? You have a more important goal than trying to make the time on course.
Yes, Jean, a light went on with your first suggestion. There we are trying to keep him straight and on the fence, when he might actually be more controllable if I kept him bent. I'm going to try some circle/serpentine/half pass tests when we next train.
I've given him today off, yesterday was a physical test for him as the course was exceptionally long (at least 1.5 miles) and he was also mentally worn out by the effort of getting his head round what he has to do. I am about to go and ride Zip.
Tomorrow I am in court and Weds and Thurs I'm away so I'll probably have no more news until Friday, when I plan to do a last cross country session. If court finished early tomorrow then I'll go tomorrow afternoon instead, so that if it's a disaster I can squeeze in another on Friday.
He is so close to getting this right now, that I want to put in whatever effort it takes to iron out this last problem.
C.
Post a Comment
<< Home