Meaningless ramblings
Tetley was just busting a gut to be allowed to trot today. He wasn’t quite sound downhill, and the stretch he wanted to trot on is downhill very slightly, but he was determined, so I let him. After as much as he normallly does, I offered him the chance to stop but he didn’t want it, and carried on for another half as much again. He wasn’t half as unsound as he normally is on that particular stretch of road. Then on the way home, the same again up hill. He was pounding up the half mile of steep rise which goes back towards home. I could see his front feet coming out in front of his shoulders and he was powering away. I figure who am I to tell him he can’t, if he wants to that much?!?!?!
When I got back I checked his feet. I took down his inside heels yesterday, because they had grown more wall than the outside. Instead of making him wear the outside edge excessively as it did once before, he had obviously been wearing the inside edge more on the road. Interesting changes .....
Tia looked at the saddle as I took it to Caddy and seemed to be suggesting that she would like to work too. That was really nice to see, she hasn’t done that before. It's so nice when a horse makes it obvious that they enjoy working for you, isn't it??
Caddy was a good boy. Some decent shoulder in after a little explanation. Some good shape in the trot even if it was lacking much expression as yet. I've had a good hard stare at his front legs and I can see that he is twisted slightly from just below the knee. He normally stands fairly straight, but occasionally can point both toes outwards, one quite markedly. In theory the growth plates that could sort out that kind of a twist closed off at four and a half, so it's probably permanent now. It's nothing severe and if he was shod with two toeclips (as is now very common) it wouldn't show at all. But it's not the ideal kind of foreleg conformation for an eventer, that's for sure. I am now pretty much decided to sell him but I'm in no hurry. I'm aware that I decided the same about Tia not that long ago and she's going nowhere!
C.

4 Comments:
Followed the link to the horse you like. Nice looking fellow, and a chestnut...always lovely but I do have a theory about the "Chestnut Thoroughbred Syndrome," which seems to match the "Chestnut mare syndrome," which just means a bit more fire and temperament than their darker counterparts. Something....I think you would like!
Gotta love Tetley's attitude. He may not feel 100% but he wants to work for you and give you both a good time. What a sweetie!
Problem is Claire that I paid too much for Caddy because I went to the most expensive sale of the year. He cost me £1850 and I would have to sell him for £2000 or more in order not to lose on what he’s cost me to keep. A friend has suggested a potential swap with a 17 hand TB whose owner can’t handle him and needs something quiet. I will go and see it if I can set it up.
The guy advertising the chestnut has obviously sold it and can't be bothered to let me know.
Superhubby wanted to go out today to get away from the DIY, so no horse news I'm afraid.
I agree with you on the red-head syndrome Jean, it works for humans too! And Tetley - yes - he's a horse in a million I think.
C.
I was at Potters abbatoir last week and the place was over run with lovely racehorses, lots of large national hunt types. It was such a shame, a couple of them I thought would suit you down to the ground.
The owner of the abbatoir says he gets lots of racehorses, but wouldn't tell me which particular trainer sent the most.
The swap sounds a great idea, would suit both of you I think.
It's a crying shame isn't it Tracey. They get more for the insurance if they can have them shot than they do at the sales if they auction them .... so what incentive is there to get them sound if they are lame .....
Have foudn out potential swap horse is 8 already and I really don't want one that old. I might go and see him to see how nice he is because if he was really super I could be persuaded. On the other hand, Caddy looked so cute today ......
I completely agree Ann, Tetley is PHENOMENAL. He's got more character than most people!!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home