RIP mole?
No mole hills again today. Is it finally gone ………………………………………?
Caddy was very good again today. Tam was here while Superhubby fitted a winch to her lorry ramp for her and we left him to it and played with the horses. I was really pleased with her opinion of how he has changed and how she thinks that he will change again yet.
Then we hacked out Tia and Tetley and that was really useful. One because she had exactly the same issue with Tia being locked in the shoulders to start with as I have, so it's not me. Two because I was able to trot ahead and get her to tell me what Tetley's hips were doing. I was afraid that I have become so used to him being unlevel that I can't tell any more.
But I could feel a slight unlevelness while Tam could only see a very small difference in the height of his hip bones. So I am correctly judging when he is sound and when he is not. And good news too of course that his unlevelness was practically unnoticeable :-)
I have given in to temptation and sent an email asking if Stafford are still taking entries for the 3rd September. Meanwhile, I must learn my dressage test for Saturday at the local ODE we are entered for.
C

3 Comments:
Boy, I could use a winch for my horse trailer tailgate. It has a spring but that has worn out and I'm not sure where I can get a new one.
It's nice to have someone who knows ride with you to confirm your opinions. Riding alone so often does have its drawbacks.
OK....circle left at E, canter at F...or something like that. Get that test memorized...*G*
Good news that you're able to accurately assess his soundness on your own.
Keep debating writing this next bit, I keep writing it and then deleting it again but what the hell..!
Spavin (if that's what T has) is such a difficult customer to deal with, obviously hard work needed to help the joints fuse and while that's happening lameness can come and go on a daily basis which you've obviously been seeing yourself. But although he's going through a good patch at the moment i'd be so wary of asking too much of him and setting yourself back what could potentially be a very long way.While the joints are fusing the whole structure is unstable and doing a ODE (think that's what you're thinking of doing?) could potentially be disasterous. All that jumping and not on a surface - I hope this doesn't sound judgemental or preaching as I know you know T better than anyone, but felt i'd flag it up nonetheless...
Anon (Cassie?) please don't be afraid of questionning anything I do, especially if you do it as nicely as that.
It's Tia I am taking on Saturday to a local and planning to do Standish with on Sept 3rd. I had planned to take Tetley this Saturday if she was sold or unsound, but I don't think she will be. I've been gradually upping the stress of his work and the local event is short and much lower fences than he is used to jumping, so I don't think it would give him any more stress than the farm ride did a few weeks ago. I have totally given up the idea of any affiliated events with him, and from your advice I think that's the right decision.
I saw the result of what you are talking about with my friend's mare, I think. They didn't know she had spavin, just that she was "playing up" badly downhill. They took her to an affiliated event and she went to take off at fence six and just didn't make it. Her feet didn't hit the floor, her body got there first. I think the joints in her hocks just "gave way". I am very wary of doing anything that would cause that situation, for the sake of my own neck and his :-0
What's your experience of how long they can be sound for and then go down again? At the moment, one day aside (which I now think was Devil's Claw withdrawal symptoms, since he was also footie in all four feet)Tetley has been on a generally increasing level of soundness for a couple of months.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home