Round and round in circles
It is howling a Siberian wind here and absolutely freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing. It's as much as I could do to go outside and do the chores. Tetley and Tia don't need to go round in any more circles this week, so they have a day off. Since that gave me time, I have lunged Smartie to remind him how that goes. He wasn't as sharp in obeying the commands as he has been in the past. And a few times he ran away. When he did that I stood my ground and he came to a sharp halt when he reached the limit of the lunge and it pulled the bit tight in his mouth. He did seem to learn from it though, and calmed down a lot after that. We ended with a series of nice, sharp halts and me walking out to him and patting him and then walking off again. Since only a few days ago I couldn't walk out to him on the end of the lunge without him trying to run away, I was pretty pleased with that.
I also did a "mount from the stirrup" lesson today, putting quite a lot of weight into the stirrup while standing on a step ladder. He was good. He hardly even reacted when I "accidentally" poked him with my toe. I'm doing that because one day it will happen for real and he needs to stay calm with it.
For anyone about to ask, yes I lunge with the rein attached to one bit ring and threaded through the other. I was taught to do it that way in Switzerland, where they didn't seem to have such a thing as a lunging cavesson. I was at Yorkshire Riding Centre the other week and the Bartles don't believe in them at all. They lunge on a headcollar, or if the horse doesn't respect that, on the bit.
I hope it warms up soon because I really want to take Tia out for a few minutes down the road. And I'm dying to test whether Tetley's current soundness extends to road work too.
C.

7 Comments:
interesting about lunging from the bit. I sometimes do, sometimes don't, but am slightly leery as when I lunged old queenie from the bit she ended up with a slight cut at a corner of the mouth after a while....
I was taught to have the lunge line through one bit ring, up over the poll, down through the other and then tie a knot into which the clip is tied .. saves changing everything round when you change direction!
and it was interesting lunging with the Dr Cooks BB, but in many ways a lot easier again!
In france and in Italy, we lunge on the bit, like you describe Caroline. I got a lunging cavesson for Linda, because I am not sure of my hand. i show it to Rosy, she said it was for "domare" i.e. starting youngster who never had a bit in their mouth.
It is interesting the different culture habits.
I am glad tetley is fine.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I deleted the last one - too many speeling errurs and I couldn't find an edit button.
It said:
Hi Trish, we were missing you, you have been following our progress for so long.
I hadn't heard the "head down" thing but it makes sense and I will teach him that next. I would have done it first if I'd realised it had a calming effect.
Tia is indeed "a doll" - like a fragile china one to look at and so easy to handle.
Claire, yes lunging on the bit does carry that risk, doesn't it, of a cut mouth. Especially as Smartie occasionally pulls away so badly. I shall have to keep my eye on him.
I am off visiting relatives tomorrow/Monday, so no news until Monday or Tuesday.
C
I lunge from the bit and usually with two reins..its a bit more fiddly but I feel I have better control and can use the outside rein as you would when riding...that make sense??
Ive heard of the 'head down' but forgot about it :):)(thanks for bringing it up Trish!)
..clicker training is one of our summer holiday tasks!
About the filing cabinet,well
in the evening I usually leave Polo a ton of work to do......only joking....I have a big stable so it great to keep brushes/boots in etc..just got make sure draws are shut tight!
I am not into horses at all, but I find your writing really quite absorbing. Thanks for an interesting read.
Thanks Anon, I love writing. If I can interest a non-horse person in horses then I'll take that as a positive!
Linda wrote an email to me. She's a good mate of mine. Before you read it you need to know that she has recently acquired two Warmblood dressage horses and they are fantastic, but I'm sure we can all do without her rubbing our noses in it :-) :-) :-) .I'm jealous enough when I see them!!
I'll copy her email here and go round for a coffee later and teach her to blog instead :-)
From Linda;
I was reading about the issue with the plastic bags and the replies from others who have horses who spook. as you know there is only one solution to this ............... buy a warmblood..............(not wishing to make anyone jealous of course) but my new four year old didn't bat an eyelid when a fertiliser bag blow across the field at him. I groomed him with it stood in the middle of the field, then I jumped up and down on it and then asked him to walk over it. Never before have I experienced such a display of no reaction........I got more of a reaction from Hector the heavy horse than I do from this little chap. Mind you........I sympathise with you all. This warmblood is probably a one off........ and he may decide to dump me next week.
by the way Caroline...as you know I'm computor illiterate....whats a blog?
regards
Post a Comment
<< Home